Friday, December 29, 2006

Basic Beliefs

I stopped going to church in April 2003. For three years, I hid from religion. Recently I took my head out of the sand and started examining my views. This blog is a part my examination process.

I believe in God. I believe in a Creator who used intelligent design to form the world and universe. Deity organized matter and the laws which govern it.

I believe humans make their own choices. As such, God is not responsible for wars or the atrocities caused by humans. While God may influence people, Deity does not make choices for them. Furthermore, I believe people are all born good and perfect.

I believe most religions have elements of truth. However no religion has a monopoly on truth.

I believe that there were many good people through out history that introduced religion that made the world a better place. Jesus, Mohammad, and Buddha fall into this category.

I believe that doing good to others is what makes a person good.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your basic beliefs sound plausible, intelligible and fruitful to me.

Though I'm not sure about the laws of the universe being organized by a deity, or whether the laws exist and constrain deity.

kaycei said...

To Dathon:
Thats a good point. I think it goes into the "What comes first, the chicken or the egg" category. I don't think I've ever thought of it that way before.

Mormon(s) of another kind said...

I couldn't agree more!! The views you exposed are exactly the same as mine.

Despite the fact that I am not LDS anymore and wouldn't want to join the Church again, it is clear to me that I hold dear to the Mormon tradition. I think we both have these views, that are so Mormon, because we have Mormon beliefs, may we be within or without the LDS Church.

Anonymous said...

There are a lot of great websites that really answer serious questions about Mormonism. For basic things, try Recovery to Mormonism, and for more in-depth questions, go to the FAIR website.