Friday, April 13, 2007

C & E Mormon?

I went to church on Sunday, which happened to be Easter. It was my first time attending in about four years.

I traveled "home" for the weekend with my parents. I knew they would be going, and there were people in the congregation that I genuinely liked and missed. Attending church was more a social call than a spiritual trip for me.

I thought I might feel guilty, attending Sacrament meeting again. But I didn't. It was an overall nice experience. Partaking the Sacrament happened quickly. It was a small branch and there were almost as many people passing the Sacrament as there were taking it.

Back when I went to church I would read hymns during the Sacrament , and I did again. My choice this time was "A Poor Wayfaring Man of Grief." I always liked that one, because of the message about kindness and helping each other. "Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me." (Matthew 25:40)

Even though my parents know I'm not a practicing Mormon, nor really a believing Mormon, they did pass the tray to me, instead of handing it back. It was nice to have that opportunity from them, instead of being judged unworthy. I thank my parents for that gesture.

I didn't really pay attention to the talks. The parts I did tune in for were boring. Christ based, but boring.

I'm grateful for the opportunity I had giving talks growing up. I was comfortable speaking to a large audience of "grown-ups" by the time I was 16. I'm glad I have public speaking skills now, and I really wish I could use them more.

This doesn't mean I'll start attending church again, but... maybe someday I can look at it as "It's just church," and not worry about everything else that goes with it. But setting my alarm clock on the weekend is not tempting.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i can understand about setting the alarm on the weekends. good thing church isn't until 1pm for us. but it's still a struggle.