Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Driving through a school zone

Every morning on my way to work, I drive through three different school zones, while children are headed to school. Two of them are on less busy roads, but one is on a main road to the downtown area.
A few weeks ago, I saw students holding up signs reminding drivers to slow down on that main road. Since then, I've been a lot more conscious of my speed, however I'm still not driving the slow enough.
Recently, while I drove through that school zone, I thought about why I drive as fast as I do through that area.

Peer pressure. I feel guilty because I know I'm upsetting other people.

I usually drive 34 in a 30, on my way to work. It's roughly the same speed as traffic. Most cars don't slow down for that school zone; they zip on through at 34, when the speed limit is actually 20. I drop my speed down to 28, and notice that I'm starting to hold up traffic as the gap between my car and the car in front of me widens relatively quickly. I start to feel bad as I realize I'm holding up traffic.

This made me think about other areas in my life where I do the wrong thing because of guilt.
I have an online role-playing game addiction. There are weeks where I play that game for about 40 hours. Fortunately, there's also weeks where I'll play a couple hours. I'm in a army and play regularly with about 50 other people. With the help of these other people, I've gotten some pretty nice gear for my character.
Lately, I've been enjoying the game less. This is a good thing, since it helps me spend time doing other things, instead of wasting time on a computer game that doesn't matter. I think, maybe I should stop playing so much and drop out of my army. And then I start to feel guilty because I'd be letting down the 50 people that have been helping me in the game. I realize I haven't helped them nearly as much as they've helped me, and I need to even out that score before I quit playing. But then, I get another item and I owe them again, and I feel guilty and keep playing.

Peer pressure can have so many different meanings. Growing up, peer pressure seemed to be about approval and the coolness factor. Now, I feel peer pressure from trying not to upset or hurt other people.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Peer pressure to speed in a school zone. Be a leader, not a follower. Do the right thing and slow down. Peer pressure, no, being a team player is one reason why I didn't find a job during the off season. I didn't think it would be right to have someone cover for me when I take off work for all the things I've done the last two months.

kaycei said...

This morning I was tailgated when I got my speed down to 27 in the school zone. There's snow on the ground and the roads are mostly clear, but not completely clear. It scares me how people drive through there. I saw students walking to school as I drove past today too.

Anonymous said...

Peer pressure causes people to do all sorts of things. screw the jerks that speed in a school zone. you be safe and in turn help the kids be safer. so the guy tailgates you. tap your brakes. he better back off then. do what you think is right (in everything). don't let others pressure you to follow their agenda.