Thursday, January 4, 2007

LDS Articles of Faith: 1

This is the beginning of a series I've been contemplating for at least a month now. I plan to tackle each LDS Articles of Faith, then move to statements of belief by other religions, such as the Five Pillars of Islam.

We believe in God, the Eternal Father, and in His Son, Jesus Christ, and in the Holy Ghost.

Honestly, this is a hard one for me to tackle. It falls into the area of things I haven't figured out yet.

I do believe in God. I believe in Him as a Creator. I look at the world around me, and can't contemplate the possibility that it all happened on accident. There is too much order and beauty for it to have happened as part of a Big Bang. I see him as a Father figure -- a perfect father. Perfect in kindness and understanding, looking on the heart.
My God loves all his children equally, regardless of race, gender, sexuality, or religion. He doesn't play favorites.

I believe Jesus Christ was a man who was a great leader and great teacher. I strongly believe his teachings will make me a better person. I don't know how I feel about the divinity of Jesus Christ as the Son of God. I haven't figured this part out yet. I don't believe he is the same as God.

I believe in feeling the Spirit, and I could label this feeling as the Holy Ghost. However, I don't take on the LDS view that the Holy Ghost is a spirit, like I have a spirit. I don't believe the Holy Ghost is an intelligence of its own. I believe it is more a manifestation of beauty, good, and truth.

No comments: