Thursday, January 25, 2007

LDS Articles of Faith: 7

We believe in the gift of tongues, prophecy, revelation, visions, healing, interpretation of tongues, and so forth.

On the most part, I do believe this. I believe in prophetic dreams and inspiration. I believe people can be healed by having great faith. The gift of tongues and interpretation of tongues is in the weird area for me though. I believe that you can communicate with people who speak a different language, but I don't think that is what is meant.

I know some religions (I don't know which) have people jump up during a meeting and start talking in words that aren't easy to understand. That phenomenon is weird to me and I don't understand it, and I can't say I believe it comes from God. I do plead ignorant about this subject however.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

when i think about the gift of tongues, i think about the way that some people have with languages. for some people, they can learn languages very easily. i can't. i can tell what a language is sometimes by hearing it, without knowing what they are saying, but understanding, not so much. i would say that president monson has the gift of tongues though, because he does a good job of reading all the foreign names at conference for sustaining general authorities.