Thursday, January 25, 2007

LDS Articles of Faith: 6

We believe in the same organization that existed in the Primitive Church, namely, apostles, prophets, pastors, teachers, evangelists, and so forth.

I've always found this Article of Faith odd, even when I was a active, pretty much TBM. There aren't pastors or evangelists in the LDS church. The Priesthood office of Teacher is held by boys from 14-15, and they don't teach anyone.

As far as my own beliefs go, I really don't believe strongly in organized religion anymore. Organizations are run by men, and men aren't perfect. Any organization is going to be flawed.
I also believe that power corrupts and absolute power corrupts absolutely. People at the top of organizations do have a lot of power, and even if their intentions are good, there is some level of corruption. It can be something like: "Oh, its alright if I pad my pockets a little bit, I deserve it because I work so hard." Or corruption can be less well intended. Also, "The road to hell is paved with good intentions."

I do believe in watching out for eachother, and I honestly believe the LDS Church has a good system in place to do that, however there are unnecessary pressures involved with that. Ask anyone who doesn't want to be contacted, or people who feel overburdened by their callings how they feel.

I remember a talk with a wonderful bishop, back when I was the ward single adult representative. We discussed similarities between the church organizational structure and the military organizational structure. We discussed chains of command in both organizations, and how they are designed to make sure that everyone is accounted for. It is good to have someone to go to when you need help. And the support structure within the Church is good, but so much of it is mandatory.

Also, I don't believe someone can be selected to received revelation from God. I believe that everyone can receive revelation, and I believe that personal revelation is the most important, because no two people or situations are a like, and the right thing for one person isn't going to be the right thing for everyone.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"Also, I don't believe someone can be selected to received revelation from God. I believe that everyone can receive revelation, and I believe that personal revelation is the most important, because no two people or situations are a like, and the right thing for one person isn't going to be the right thing for everyone."

People can be selected to receive revelation from God. To explain... I can receive revelation for myself and for my family (in some things) but for the church, no. I don't know what the needs of the church are. that's not my place. same goes for my ward. that's why people are called to receive revelation. they are more in tune to the needs of particular parts of the organization, therefore, they can receive revelation for that part. Like with a job. Me for example, I'm just a letter carrier within the post office. i can know what to do for my own route, but for the rest of the post office, i wouldn't have a clue. that's why there is a postmaster. he knows what's going on. it's the same with the church.

it's true that no one answer is going to work for everyone in the same situation (or however you put it). that's why you are entitled to your own personal revelation. Maybe you are working on something with your bishop. he knows what he has done to help other people in similar circumstances. so he tries to help you in the same way. he asks you to pray about it, try it out, but if it doesn't fit for you, he should try to help you figure out something that will work for you. if he doesn't, well, remember, he is a person, and people aren't perfect.